Did you know that BYU has faced nine players who were the eventual first pick overall in the NFL draft?Five of the nine times, BYU played against the eventual first pick overall in their final season of college football. They are bolded in the list below.
- 2010: The St. Louis Rams selected Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma.
- 2005: The San Francisco 49ers selected Alex Smith, QB, Utah.
- 1997: The St. Louis Rams selected Orlando Pace, OT, Ohio State.
- 1995: The Cincinnati Bengals selected Ki-Jana Carter, RB, Penn State.
- 1994: The Cincinnati Bengals selected Dan Wilkinson, DT, Ohio State.
- 1993: The New England Patriots selected Drew Bledsoe, QB, Washington State.
- 1991: The Dallas Cowboys selected Russell Maryland, DT, Miami.
- 1963: The Los Angeles Rams selected Terry Baker, QB, Oregon State.
- 1956: The Pittsburgh Steelers selected Gary Glick, DB, Colorado A&M.
BYU’s record in the games against these players is 4-7.
In 2009, Sam Bradford was the reigning Heisman Trophy winner when BYU played Oklahoma in the season opening game. Coleby Clawson knocked Bradford out of the game just before halftime, and BYU went on to win 14-13.
In 2003 and 2004, Alex Smith quarterbacked the Utah Utes in their annual rivalry game against BYU. Utah won both games.
In 1993, BYU played Ohio State in the Holiday Bowl. Orlando Pace was a true freshman, but he had started the whole season for the Buckeyes. Dan Wilkinson was playing his final collegiate game. A last minute comeback came up short, and BYU lost 28-21.
In 1992, Ki-Jana Carter was just a sophomore when BYU hosted Penn State. Carter was not the Nittany Lions starting running back that year, but he saw some action this day logging 3 carries for 10 yards. BYU won 30-17. (It appears that Carter did not play as a freshman in the 1991 BYU-Penn State game; therefore, the results of that game have not been included in the won-loss record above.)
In 1990, Drew Bledsoe was the back up quarterback for Washington State. He completed 2 of 3 passes for 35 yards in a game that BYU won 50-36.
The week before playing Washington State in 1990, BYU took on the Miami Hurricanes with a defense anchored by Russell Maryland. Maryland would win the Outland Trophy that year, but BYU won the game 28-21.
In 1961, when Terry Baker was just a junior, Oregon State handed BYU a 35-0 loss.
From 1953-55, the years Gary Glick played, BYU and Colorado A&M played annually as members of the Mountain States Conference. BYU lost all three games.
The Editor appreciates all feedback. He can be reached via email at firstname.lastname@example.org