Buy BYU Football Tickets

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Flashback: Jason Buck Wins The Outland Trophy (1986)

Yesterday, November 29, 2011, marked the 25th Anniversary of Brigham Young Cougars defensive tackle Jason Buck winning the Outland Trophy.

Jadon Wagner Returned With Honor

Brigham Young Cougars linebacker Jadon Wagner played his best game of the season against the New Mexico State Aggies. Wagner was honored following the game as one of 19 seniors playing their final home game. Six months ago, Wagner wasn’t expected to be part of this game.

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Conference Realignment A Test of Faith For BYU

The Brigham Young Cougars have been at the forefront of both the Big XII and Big East conference expansion talks this fall. It was a major disappointment when BYU was left out of the conference realignment changes in 2010. That disappointment quickly dissipated when BYU announced it would become a college football independent in 2011.

The move was a bold one and would present several challenges, but the movement quickly picked up steam among the Cougar faithful. The outlook was bright, and there was great confidence that independence was the right choice for BYU football.

Monday, November 28, 2011

Mendenhall: Nelson Will Start If Cleared To Play

In his Monday Morning press conference, Brigham Young Cougars head coach Bronco Mendenhall reaffirmed that Riley Nelson would be the starting quarterback when he is healthy.

Poll Results: Should Kyle Van Noy wear the number 1 for the rest of the season?

The results are in, and 76% of voters were against the proposition that Kyle Van Noy continue to wear Jordan Pendleton's number 1 jersey.

I completely agree.

Thursday, November 24, 2011

BYU Football: Did you know? (10 Win Seasons)

The Brigham Young Cougars can finish 2011 with a 10-3 record. That has happened four other times in BYU football history.

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Will 10 Wins Be Enough?

The Brigham Young Cougars will play one final regular season game at Hawaii on December 3 and will play in the Bell Helicopter Armed Forced Bowl on December 30 against a Conference USA opponent. If the Cougars win both games, they will finish the year with a 10-3 record.

Even with a current record of 8-3, BYU received zero votes in the most recent Associated Press (AP) Top 25. Seeing BYU completely shut out in the voting process, leads to the question: Will 10 wins be enough for BYU to finish 2011 nationally ranked?

Condolences to Joshua Quezada and Family

BLUE COUGAR FOOTBALL extends its deepest condolences to Brigham Young Cougars running back Joshua Quezada and his entire family.

Saturday night, at approximately 6:30 PM, Quezada's older brother Joseph died due to injuries suffered in a hit-and-run car accident, as reported in the Deseret News.  Joseph died in La Habra, California.

More information regarding the funeral services and how to donate to the Quezada family can be found in the Deseret News report.

The Editor appreciates all feedback. He can be reached via email at

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

The Numbers Don’t Do Jake Heaps Justice

Brigham Young Cougars quarterback Jake Heaps’s stat line against the New Mexico State Aggies wasn’t flashy. Nevertheless, Heaps should get credit for playing a good game.

Monday, November 21, 2011

Seniors Shine in BYU’s 42-7 Route of New Mexico State

Several Brigham Young Cougars seniors made big plays in their final home game to help BYU post a 35 point win over the New Mexico State Aggies.

Poll Results: Would BYU beat Boise State?

The votes are in, and 45% voted "No." The next highest vote getter was "50/50 Chance" with 39%. The "Yes" voters comprised only 16%.

I struggled to answer this question.

Friday, November 18, 2011

BYU Seniors Play Final Home Game In First Ever Meeting With New Mexico State

For the first time ever, the Brigham Young Cougars (7-3) and the New Mexico State Aggies (4-6) will square off on the gridiron this Saturday. For 19 BYU seniors, it will also be the last time they don the blue and white for a game at LaVell Edwards Stadium.

Thursday, November 17, 2011

BYU Football: Did you know? (Diverse Scoring)

The Brigham Young Cougars aren’t exactly lighting up the score board in 2011. However, the whole team has gotten into the act, and the BYU scoring has been very diverse.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

BYU QB Jake Heaps Goes Retro

Saturday against the Idaho Vandals, Brigham Young Cougars quarterback Jake Heaps finally played the way everyone expected him to play in 2011. Heaps’ play also had a retro look to it.

Flashback: Brigham Young Cougars 28, #4 Air Force Falcons 21 (1985)

Exactly 26 years ago today, November 16, 1985, the Brigham Young Cougars continued to control the series with the Air Force Falcons. This Air Force squad was a perfect 10-0 and ranked number 4 in the country, but in the end they suffered their seventh loss in eight games, all-time, against BYU. However, it didn’t look like the game would end that way early on.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Van Noy Lays It All Out on the Line In Pendleton’s Absence

In the first game since it was announced that Brigham Young Cougars outside linebacker Jordan Pendleton would miss the rest of the season with a knee injury, fellow outside linebacker Kyle Van Noy paid tribute to Pendleton in a way only he could--with some Van Noise.

Riley Nelson Should Start When Healthy

The quarterback position is, once again, the center of attention for the Brigham Young Cougars. Against Idaho, junior Riley Nelson, who had started the last five games, left the game in the first quarter with a broken rib and pneumothorax. Sophomore Jake Heaps, who started the first five games, played well in Nelson’s absence, and BYU cruised to a 42-7 victory.

In Cougar Nation, this turn of events can mean only one thing: an all out debate over who should be the starting quarterback.

Monday, November 14, 2011

Jake Heaps Leads BYU to Blowout Win Over Idaho

Brigham Young Cougars quarterback Riley Nelson left the game with a broken rib with 8:26 to play in the first quarter. Backup Jake Heaps came in and BYU scored 35 consecutive points with Heaps at the helm. The Cougars cruised to a 42-7 win.

Poll Results: Will BYU win its final three regular season games?

This poll has closed, and by an 85% to 15% margin, "Yes," BYU will win its final three regular season games.

I am going to say, "Yes," as well.

Friday, November 11, 2011

Idaho Looks Like BYU and Oregon State

As the Brigham Young Cougars line up against the Idaho Vandals on Saturday, November 12, 2011, the Cougars will see a team in the same situation they were not too long ago.

Thursday, November 10, 2011

BYU Football: Did you know? (Multiple Opponents From The Same State)

The Brigham Young Cougars will play the Idaho Vandals on Saturday. This marks the second game this season that BYU plays against a team from Idaho.

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Flashback: BYU Takes A Huge Step Forward

Exactly 37 years ago today, November 9, 1974, the BYU football program took one of, if not the, biggest steps forward in its history. The Brigham Young Cougars defeated #16 Arizona State to take control of the WAC title race.

Playing Favorites?

Brigham Young Cougars quarterback Riley Nelson has started the last four games. He replaced Jake Heaps at quarterback about half way through game five. Doing the math, that means both Nelson and Heaps have approximately the same amount of playing time this season—4 ½ games.

Monday, November 7, 2011

BYU Head Coach Addresses Bye Week, Conference Realignment, and Kicking Game in Press Conference

Brigham Young Cougars head coach Bronco Mendenhall addressed the media this morning in his weekly news conference. Topics ranged from how the team used the bye week, to the ongoing conference realignment talks, and to the Cougars kicking game—both punting and kickoffs.

BYU Linebacker Jordan Pendleton Out For Season

Brigham Young Cougars head coach Bronco Mendenhall announced that senior linebacker Jordan Pendleton is out for the season with a new knee injury that he suffered against TCU on October 28, 2011.

Poll Results: Who would you start at running back the rest of 2011?

This poll has closed and the results are in. By a 65-35 margin, BYU fans would start Michael Alisa at running back over J.J. Di Luigi for the rest of 2011.

My vote would have been for J.J. Di Luigi.

Thursday, November 3, 2011

BYU Football: Did you know? (Family Ties)

The BYU Football: Did you know? for this week is a little random, but something I have wanted to take a closer look at for awhile. With this being a bye week, it seemed a good time to fit it in.

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

My Nickname For Kyle Van Noy

After two weeks of campaigning for a nickname for Brigham Young Cougars linebacker Kyle Van Noy, during the TCU game I found one that suits me best.

Flashback: Brigham Young Cougars 40, UTEP Miners 18 (1996)

When JD Falslev returned a third quarter TCU punt 67-yards for a touchdown, the 2011 BYU Cougars became the first BYU football team to return both a punt and kickoff for a touchdown since the 1996 team did it.

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Nelson Following The Same Path As Heaps

Riley Nelson and Jake Heaps are a curious pair of quarterbacks for the Brigham Young Cougars. The skill set for each quarterback are polar opposites. Nevertheless, their careers on the field, so far, are following the same path.

BYU-TCU Post Game Podcast

Some final thoughts about the Brigham Young Cougars' game against the TCU Horned Frogs.