Poll Results: Which would be the best halftime ceremony for 2011?

The results are in and honoring Jim McMahon (if he graduates) as a BYU Athletics Hall of Fame inductee tied with the 1996 team for the most votes. Each had 33%. Jason Buck and his 1986 Outland Trophy was next with 21%. Honoring Luke Staley for his Doak Walker winning season 10 years ago was last with 13%.

As I stated last week when this topic was introduced, I prefer that Jason Buck get honored. I guess my argument wasn't persuasive enough to skew the results of the poll. The 1996 team does have some appeal with this being BYU's first year as an independent. I can't really explain why, but focusing on that special team seems like an appropriate way to boost BYU's independent profile while honoring an individual player would not. As for Staley, I think BYU wants to retire his jersey. That requires 15 years after his final season. I can't justify two halftime ceremonies honoring Staley in a five or six year span when the school has other worthy options.  

Thank you to everyone who voted. Don't forget to vote in this week's poll, "Do your feelings about an NFL team change if they draft a BYU player?"

The Editor appreciates all feedback. He can be reached via email at bluecougarfootball@gmail.com

Comments